Below are some tips on ways to motivate seniors to exercise:
- Educate– teach them that regular physical activity- including endurance, muscle strengthening, balance, and flexibility exercises are essential for healthy aging.
- Help them set realistic goals and develop an exercise plan.
- Create a chart, or “prescription” and make easy to understand: type of exercise, frequency, intensity, how much time spent in each activity. Check up with them on their progress and re-evaluate goals over time.
- Refer seniors to community resources such as senior fitness classes at the YMCA or other such groups.
- Help them connect to support groups on-line.
For more information please visit: